Sunday 12 January 2020

X-Men repair log

Received from Portugal this Konami X-Men PCB (four players version )


Upon a quick inspection I realized the board was missing many parts.Specifically :

- The '051550 custom SIL (used for generating the master /RESET and  for coin counters/lockouts handling)

 One '005273' custom resistor array (used for inputs handling)


 A 74ALS04 @11H :


A 32K x 8-bit static RAM @2D (used for sound)


Lastly, there were deep scratches in the area of the '053251' custom ASIC as if some heavy object had fallen on the board :



Normally you would have given up to repair a board in such conditions but it's a good game plus I have an high success rate on this Konami hardware being familiar to me.So I fitted the missing components one by one :


Then I patched all the severed traces but at same time I had also to replace the '053251' ASIC because some pins were irreparably damaged :



After all this work time came to power the board up.I was quite surprised that everything seemed to work fine at first glance.I started a game and graphics, controls were good but sound was very faint even at highest volume setting:



Obviously the culprit was always him, the 'infamous' '054544' hybrid audio module :


I could have replaced it with a reproduction of mine but I tried to change all the surface mounted electrolytic capacitors on top :



And this was enough to restore a loud and clear sound!Evil Konami defeated again, see you to next chapter of this endless battle!



2 comments:

  1. Nice work and great post. What did you use to remove the coating from the '054544' before replacing the caps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush.

      Delete