Saturday 8 February 2020

Sega '315-5011' reproduction

Some time ago I have done a reproduction of the Sega '315-5012' custom IC, the sprite generator used on System1/2 and other unique Sega hardware :

Sega '315-5012' reproduction

Since this custom IC is always used in pair with its "companion" '315-5011' I thought it would have been good to have a reproduction of this too.And here we go!

The Sega '315-5011' comes in a 600 mil DIP40 package :


It accomplishes graphical functions being a sprites line comparator as we can read in some hardware overview found online.As I did for the '315-5012', I extrapolated the equivalent circuit from a piggyback board found on some bootlegs.Since I used thru-hole devices for this first prototype, the resulting board layout is not particularly neat and compact :


But I was mainly interested in functionality to be sure the drawn schematics were good because it's quite easy to do a mistake when you are tracing hundreds of connections.The final test proved that no mistakes had been made, the prototype worked fine :



Sega '315-5011' and '315-5012' now again together, both reproduced to preserve more and more boards!

No comments:

Post a Comment